Homeward Trails Animal Rescue is a non-profit organization dedicated to saving the lives of homeless animals in the Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia (DMV) area. We work to find loving homes for abandoned, neglected, and abused animals, and we provide resources and support to help adopters and their new furry friends succeed.
Mission and Vision of Homeward Trails Animal Rescue
We envision a world where every animal has a loving home. To achieve this vision, we strive to:
Reduce the number of homeless animals in the DMV area by increasing adoptions and providing spay/neuter services. Increase awareness of the importance of responsible pet ownership. Inspire others to make a difference in the lives of animals.
Homeward Trails Animal Rescue is guided by the following core values:
Compassion: We believe that all animals deserve to be treated with kindness and respect. Respect: We value each individual’s role in making a difference for animals. Integrity: We are committed to honesty and transparency in all that we do. Excellence: We strive to provide the highest quality care for animals and the best possible experience for adopters. Stewardship: We are responsible for the well-being of the animals in our care and the resources entrusted to us.
Programs and Services
Homeward Trails Animal Rescue offers a variety of programs and services to help animals and their people. These include:
Adoption: We offer a variety of adoption options for both dogs and cats. Foster Care: We rely on a network of foster parents to provide temporary homes for animals in need. Spay/Neuter: We offer affordable spay/neuter services to help reduce the number of homeless animals. Behavioral Counseling: We provide behavioral counseling services to help adopters and their new furry friends overcome challenges. Community Outreach: We educate the public about responsible pet ownership and provide resources to help people keep their pets healthy and happy.
How You Can Help
There are many ways to get involved with Homeward Trails Animal Rescue. You can:
Volunteer your time. Donate money or supplies. Adopt a pet. Spread the word about our organization.
With your help, we can make a difference in the lives of countless animals.
Adoption Process at Homeward Trails Animal Rescue
When it comes to adopting an animal from Homeward Trails Animal Rescue, there are several steps that potential adopters must follow. These steps include:
- Submitting an application: Potential adopters must fill out an application on the organization’s website.
- Application review: The organization reviews each application to ensure that the animal is a good fit for the family and the family is a good fit for the animal.
- Meet and Greet: Once an application is approved, the adopter meets the animal they are interested in adopting.
- Home visit: A representative from Homeward Trails Animal Rescue visits the potential adopter’s home to ensure that it is a safe and secure environment for the animal.
- Adoption: If everything goes well, the final step is signing the adoption contract and taking the animal home.
Adoption fees vary depending on the animal’s age, breed, and medical history, but they typically range from $175 to $450.
Volunteer Opportunities with Homeward Trails Animal Rescue
Homeward Trails Animal Rescue relies heavily on volunteers to help with various aspects of their organization. Some volunteer opportunities include:
- Fostering: Foster homes are always needed to care for animals until they find their forever homes.
- Adoption Events: Volunteers can assist at adoption events by setting up and breaking down the event, talking to potential adopters, and caring for the animals.
- Transporting: Many animals need transportation from shelters to foster homes or adoption events.
- Administrative Assistance: Volunteers can help with administrative duties such as answering phones, filing paperwork, and responding to emails.
Volunteers must be at least 18 years old, and some positions require additional training.
Foster Care Program at Homeward Trails Animal Rescue
Homeward Trails Animal Rescue has an extensive foster care program in which volunteers provide temporary care for animals until they are ready for adoption. Foster homes allow animals who are not quite ready for adoption to receive specialized care, socialization, and training. Additionally, foster homes provide a break for animals who have been in the shelter for an extended period of time.
Homeward Trails Animal Rescue provides all necessary supplies and covers all medical expenses for foster animals. The organization also offers support and training to foster families.
Events and Fundraising at Homeward Trails Animal Rescue
Homeward Trails Animal Rescue hosts several fundraising events throughout the year to raise money for their organization. These events include:
- PawCasso Art Auction: An art auction featuring works inspired by animals.
- Woofstock: A day-long festival featuring food, music, and adoptable animals.
- Run for the Animals: A 5K race to raise funds for Homeward Trails Animal Rescue.
In addition to these events, Homeward Trails Animal Rescue also participates in several community events throughout the year to promote their organization and educate the public about responsible pet ownership.
Education and Outreach Programs by Homeward Trails Animal Rescue
Homeward Trails Animal Rescue is committed to educating the public about responsible pet ownership. The organization offers several educational programs, including:
- Humane Education: Homeward Trails Animal Rescue provides presentations on animal welfare, responsible pet ownership, and the importance of spaying and neutering.
- Pet Therapy: Volunteers and their certified therapy animals visit schools, nursing homes, and hospitals to provide comfort and companionship.
- TNR Program: Homeward Trails Animal Rescue educates the public about Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) programs for feral cats.
Types of Animals Rescued by Homeward Trails Animal Rescue
Homeward Trails Animal Rescue rescues a variety of animals, including dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, and even chickens. The organization focuses on rescuing animals from high-kill shelters and those who are at risk of euthanasia due to medical or behavioral issues.
Homeward Trails Animal Rescue also takes in animals who have been abandoned or surrendered by their owners. The organization provides medical care, rehabilitation, and training for these animals before they are adopted.
Collaborations and Partnerships of Homeward Trails Animal Rescue
Homeward Trails Animal Rescue works with several organizations, including other animal rescues, veterinary clinics, and pet stores. These partnerships help the organization provide the best possible care to animals in need.
The organization also collaborates with local schools, businesses, and community groups to promote responsible pet ownership and educate the public about animal welfare.
Success Stories of Homeward Trails Animal Rescue
Homeward Trails Animal Rescue has helped thousands of animals find loving homes over the years. Here are a few success stories:
- Luna: Luna was a senior dog who had spent most of her life in a shelter. Homeward Trails Animal Rescue took her in, provided medical care, and found her a loving home where she lived out her final years in comfort and happiness.
- Zeus: Zeus was a pit bull who had been used as a bait dog in dogfighting rings. Homeward Trails Animal Rescue rescued him, provided medical care and training, and found him a loving home where he now lives happily with his new family.
- Boo: Boo was a kitten who had been abandoned in a parking lot. Homeward Trails Animal Rescue took her in, provided medical care, and found her a loving home where she is now thriving.
Ways to Support Homeward Trails Animal Rescue
There are several ways that you can support Homeward Trails Animal Rescue and their mission to give homeless pets a second chance. Here are a few ideas:
- Adopt: Consider adopting your next pet from Homeward Trails Animal Rescue.
- Foster: If you are unable to adopt, consider fostering a pet until they find their forever home.
- Volunteer: Homeward Trails Animal Rescue is always in need of volunteers to assist with adoption events, transport animals, and more.
- Donate: Homeward Trails Animal Rescue relies on donations to provide medical care, food, and supplies for the animals in their care.
- Attend events: Attend one of Homeward Trails Animal Rescue’s fundraising events to show your support and help raise money for the organization.
In conclusion, Homeward Trails Animal Rescue is an incredible organization that is dedicated to providing a second chance to homeless pets. Through their rescue efforts, education and outreach programs, foster care program, and partnerships with other organizations, Homeward Trails Animal Rescue is making a difference in the lives of animals every day. There are many ways to get involved and support this amazing organization, so consider adopting, fostering, volunteering, donating, or attending an event to help give homeless pets a second chance.